The Centre is to be committed to the key issues of language and literature, gender and
discrimination; peace and conflict; human rights; ethnicity and identity politics; migration and
transnationalism; governance; development and livelihood issues; water, environment, climate
change and the flora and fauna in the North East and its peripheral areas.
The Centre will provide impetus for the documentation of the cultural and environmental diversity. Conferences, publications, research and field studies, exhibitions, audio-visual documentations, crafts demonstrations and capacity building are some of the activities planned under the Centre for North East Studies, Arya Vidyapeeth College.
The Centre seeks to provide scope to the researchers from different regions to explore the immense diversity and the huge potential of the North Eastern region. The Centre shall also identify the key issues of the region for focused study and also encourage action research on relevant themes through case/field studies.
The Centre seeks to achieve its objectives through workshops, seminars, lectures, research collaborations and cultural events as well as research, publications and extensive dissemination. This will ensure that the Centre initiates a significant initiative to chart a substantial path in North East India Studies, while also tapping the potential for collaborative research. The research focus would include the diverse aspects of North East India and its peripheral areas and traditional institutions. Research that would be carried out primarily with the help of the students of the college during their summer recess would ultimately lead to publications in academic journals. There is a need for conducting research on various aspects of North East India with special emphasis on the challenges faced by its people. The Centre for North East Studies, Arya Vidyapeeth College shall make an attempt to promote teaching and research on India’s North East. It also aims to develop a holistic understanding of the region. Thus the Centre for North East Studies, Arya Vidyapeeth College aims to carry out research, impart knowledge, disseminate information and promote learning with the goal of spreading awareness about North East India and its diverse culture and unique heritage. This Centre has been conceived with a vision to build a library of academic works focused on the northeastern region of India.
The mission of this Centre will be to provide opportunities to explore and appreciate the diversity and immense potential of the north-eastern region. Because of the existing diversities between the people of the north eastern region and the mainland; the Centre shall focus on programmes which will lay stress on generating awareness of this region amongst the population in general. The centre also plans to focus on bridging cultural differences, capacity building and self-sustenance. By means of its various activities the Centre shall draw attention of policy makers and planners for understanding the north eastern region with regard to its cultural differences, unique traditions, customs and life styles.
The objectives of the Centre for North East Studies, Arya Vidyapeeth College are therefore the
1. Research and dissemination of knowledge.
2. Capacity building and self sustenance.
3. Building a Depository of information.
4. Creating a eco-system of cooperation and collaboration.
Proposed Activities Of The Centre
1. Organising a Research Methodology Course for both faculty and students initially so as to
help the way of understanding and carrying out research.
2. Inviting project proposals on diverse areas relating to North East India within the college from faculty members and the data for the same would be collected with the help of students during their vacations.
3. Carrying out academic and action research on focus themes through case/field studies with the help of students and contribute to the publication of journals.
4. Organizing and holding conferences, seminars, interactive lecture sessions, workshops, capacity building programmes etc.
5. Sponsoring academic field visits.
6. Publishing books, monographs, journals, newsletters and Annual Reports.
7. Organizing socio-cultural enrichment programmes