The College was established by the founder principal late Pandit Giridhar Sarma with the vision to cater to the need for higher education and to tap the intellectual potential of the youth of Assam in particular and the entire North East India in general. The College aspires to uphold the national policies on higher education which is to mould and prepare the young minds to meet contemporary challenges with special focus on the underprivileged students. Guided by the principles of inclusiveness, integrity, innovation, creativity and quality, the College has a vision to create an environment that is responsive to the needs of students and society at large.
The College since its inception has committed itself to the realization of the ideals reflected in the vision of the College. The missions of the College are:
- To enrich and empower the young generation through quality education.
- To achieve academic brilliance and prepare students to play a positive and meaningful role in nation building.
- To develop a vibrant academic ambience for research and higher studies.
- To organize vibrant development programmes and services to help students identify educational and career goals and set realistic career paths.
- To make higher education accessible to the underprivileged section of the society.
- To introduce innovative techniques to make the teaching-learning process more effective.
- To prepare individuals for productive contribution to society.
- To develop the potential of the students in co curricular and extracurricular fields through participation in literary, cultural, sports, and extension activities.
- To sensitise students towards social concerns like gender and environmental issues, human rights, ethical and patriotic values.
For the fruitful realization of our Vision and Mission, certain goals and objectives have been chalked out.
- Encourage students to identify their latent talent and potential;
- Produce high stratum outputs from the low inputs;
- Cater to the needs of academically disadvantaged students;
- Equip the students with some value added courses;
- Promote co-curricular activities amongst the students to develop healthy habits;
- Mould students into ideal citizens and thereby fulfill social obligations; and
- Promote and develop research culture among the faculty members.